At 12:36 AM 8/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Hobby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous States--"43 times"

> Dan Minette wrote: > > ... > > > "Mortality studies such as ours do not include cases in which burglars > > or > > > intruders are wounded or frightened away by the use or display of a > > firearm. > > > Cases in which would-be intruders may have purposely avoided a house > > known > > > to be armed are also not identified.A complete determination of firearm > > > risks versus benefits would require that these figures be known." > > > > And the best way to show how this is true is to show how the % of people > > who are victims of crimes and own guns are much lower than the % of people > > who simply own guns. If owning guns is as much of a deterrant as this > > author suggests, than one should see a significantly lower crime rate for > > households that have guns vs. households that don't. > > That's certainly a good way to do the study. But one > should control for the amount of crime in the neighborhood as > well, since it could well be that gun ownership is higher in > high crime neighborhoods.

I have no argument with that.  But, my understanding of gun ownership
around here is that its not really a neighborhood by neighborhood thing,
but more of an area by area thing. Nonetheless, normalizing for % of gun
ownership as a function of the crime rate in an area/neighborhood is a
necessary control for a good study...at least it has to be done one way or
another.

Dan M.

Would there be some relevance to legal gun ownership?

Kevin T. - VRWC
Armed, but not dangerous