----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous States

> Robert Seeberger wrote:

This is a bit off on a tangent but deserves to be seen.

Evaluating the "43 times" fallacy

by David K. Felbeck
Director, Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners
August 10, 2000

Those who oppose the use of firearms for self-defense have for fourteen
years quoted a study by Arthur Kellermann and Donald Reay published in the
June 12, 1986 issue of New England Journal of Medicine (v. 314, n. 24, p.
1557-60) which concluded that a firearm in the home is "43 times more
likely" to be used to kill a member of the household than to kill a criminal
intruder. This "statistic" is used regularly by anti self-protection groups
which surely know better, and was even published recently without question
in a letter to the Ann Arbor News. Representative Liz Brater cited this "43
times" number in a House committee hearing just a year ago. Thus the
original study and its conclusion deserve careful analysis. If nothing else,
the repeated use of this "statistic" demonstrates how a grossly inaccurate
statement can become a "truth" with sufficient repetition by the compliant
and non-critical media.

The "43 times" claim was based upon a small-scale study of firearms deaths
in King County, Washington (Seattle and Bellevue) covering the period
1978-83. The authors state,

  "Mortality studies such as ours do not include cases in which burglars or
intruders are wounded or frightened away by the use or display of a firearm.
Cases in which would-be intruders may have purposely avoided a house known
to be armed are also not identified.A complete determination of firearm
risks versus benefits would require that these figures be known."

Having said this, these authors proceed anyway to exclude those same
instances where a potential criminal was not killed but was thwarted.

How many successful self-defense events do not result in death of the
criminal? An analysis by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz (Journal of Criminal Law
and Criminology, v. 86 n.1 [Fall 1995]) of successful defensive uses of
firearms against criminal attack concluded that the criminal is killed in
only one case in approximately every one thousand attacks. If this same
ratio is applied to defensive uses in the home, then Kellermann's "43 times"
is off by a factor of a thousand and should be at least as small as 0.043,
not 43. Any evaluation of the effectiveness of firearms as defense against
criminal assault should incorporate every event where a crime is either
thwarted or mitigated; thus Kellermann's conclusion omits 999 non-lethal
favorable outcomes from criminal attack and counts only the one event in
which the criminal is killed. With woeful disregard for this vital point,
recognized by these authors but then ignored, they conclude,

  "The advisability of keeping firearms in the home for protection must be
questioned."

In making this statement the authors have demonstrated an inexcusable
non-scientific bias against the effectiveness of firearms ownership for self
defense. This is junk science at its worst.

This vital flaw in Kellermann and Reay's paper was demonstrated clearly just
six months later, on Dec. 4, 1986 by David Stolinsky and G. Tim Hagen in the
same journal (v. 315 n. 23, p. 1483-84), yet these letters have been ignored
for fourteen years in favor of the grossly exaggerated figure of the
original article. The continual use of the "43 times" figure by groups
opposed to the defensive use of firearms suggests the appalling weakness of
their argument.

But there's more. Included in the "43 times" of Kellermann are 37 suicides,
some 86 percent of the alleged total, which have nothing to do with either
crime or defensive uses of firearms. Even Kellermann and Reay say clearly

  ".[that] the precise nature of the relation between gun availability and
suicide is unclear."

Yet they proceed anyway to include suicides, which comprise the vast
majority of the deaths in this study, in their calculations. Omitting
suicides further reduces the "43 times" number from 0.043 to 0.006.

"Reverse causation" is a significant factor that does not lend itself to
quantitative evaluation, although it surely accounts for a substantial
number of additional homicides in the home. A person, such as a drug dealer,
who is in fear for his life, will be more likely to have a firearm in his
home than will an ordinary person. Put another way, if a person fears death
he might arm himself and at the same time be at greater risk of being
murdered. Thus Kellermann's correlation is strongly skewed away from normal
defensive uses of firearms. His conclusion is thus no more valid than a
finding that because fat people are more likely to have diet foods in their
refrigerators we can conclude that diet foods "cause" obesity, or that
because so many people die in hospitals we should conclude that hospitals
"cause" premature death. Reverse causation thus further lowers the 0.006
value, but by an unknown amount.

In conclusion, if we use Kellermann's data adjusted for reality, a firearm
kept in a home is at least 167 times more likely to deter criminal attack
than to harm a person in the home. This number is some 7000 times more
positive than the "43 times" negative figure so often quoted. Should groups
and individuals that knowingly perpetuate a figure that is at least 7000
times too large be given any credence at all?

With two million defensive uses of firearms each year, both inside and
outside the home, the value of protection against criminal assault provided
by firearms vastly exceeds any dangers that they might present.

xponent

Opposing Bias Noted Maru

rob