In a message dated 8/11/2003 1:14:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> That would only hold true if the criminals were aware of who did and who did
> not own guns ahead of time.
> I think the gist of the argument is that legal gun ownership deters crime in
> general and there are stats that support this.
>
> But nothing is ever going to grind crime to a halt.
>
> I think this type of discussion tends to get people thinking about the
> extremes as opposed to the general tenor of the realities of life.
>
> There are many many millions of guns in the US, yet only a few thousand or
> so deaths in a given year. A small percentage of deaths by
> any cause.
> Its a mountain made out of a molehill.

Except the mountain is usually not fatal and the molehill is fatal. Detering crime is
good but the cost may overwhelm the benefit if even a statistically small number of
innocent individuals (in particular the owner or a family member is killed). After all
the death rate in the mole hill is %100. If we had effective gun control then the
death rate would go down for both the criminals and the victims.