I think it is a reasonable space drive, hyper jumps of some unknow but
limited range,  but don't see how the fleet is being tracked.  I have
missed a number of episodes and may have missed the technobabble..

The fleet ISN'T being tracked, as far as we know (or, the evidence doesn't point that way). It WAS being tracked in the 1st regular season episode, but the nixed that pretty well. So far the Cylons are trying to find the fleet the old fashioned, hard way...by sending scouts out to look for them. Of course, there's that little "secret" so maybe they ARE, but aren't attacking...yet.

Damon.