----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Land" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: The Doom That Came To N'Warlins - II

> On Sep 4, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Robert Seeberger wrote:
>
>> From: "Dave Land" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>> This an AOL chat room. It has never been the kind of place where
>>> people come to say "OMG, I can't BELIEVE what I'm seeing on TV!!!"
>
> Of course, I meant to say "This is _not_ an AOL chat room."
>
> (rest of both messages clipped)
>
> Here's the thing, Robert: You said that it appeared that you and
> Damon and Debbie appeared to you to be the only ones on-list who
> cared about actual people.

I hear you Dave and am sorry it came out that way, and I partially
agree. The part I don't agree with is I don't believe the majority of
people grieve by ignoring an issue.
I especially do not believe that of this group. I just don't see
denial as being part of the makeup here. But I think Dan made a good
point when he spoke about waiting for someone else to speak up first.
I think that may be more operative here than anything else. Perhaps,
with all the flaming and fighting that has occurred here, people have
just been a bit timid about posting subjects that could become
politicized?
I don't know.
I do know that it really bothered me after the tsunami that it never
was discussed, and I don't think varying grief modes can explain that.
People were more than willing to discuss politics and religion. People
were willing to fight onlist, curse at each other, and rattle swords
to the point of being abusive. When Katrina did all this damage and
the authorities were doing little and no one here even mentioned it in
political terms it pained me. I think highly of the people here, but
it was like watching Nero fiddle.

I feel that caring enough to speak up is worth something. I feel Damon
and Debbie and Dan and Gary had something to say and cared enough to
do so. You did also (though I disagree with giving to the Salvation
Army, but that is a subject for a different post). Several here also
made donations and that is of even more value.
But silence, I don't know if that is worth a whole lot.

Can you understand how or even why the discussion of gas prices and
the lack of discussion of a national crisis stood out to me?
Granted, I live in this region. Geographically, I share the same type
of enviroment as the effected people. I have travelled through all
those places, and have stayed in many of them. I've known people from
these areas all my life. I share the same danger they do, and it could
have easily been me. I probably should care more than most of you in
the sense that it is more personal for me.

But for me, the silence was louder than words and that more than
anything else bothers me.

> It doesn't matter if you've been on the list since George Washington
> was
> a tyke: it's just plain insulting to make a claim like that. It's
> sad
> that you can't or won't (or anyway, didn't show that you) understand
> that people process grief differently.

I hope you can understand that the insult was not so intentional and
was mostly a byproduct of an attaboy for Damon and Debbie.

> Dave "Hurt (though not Celine-Dion-on-CNN-yesterday-hurt) by the
> suffering in the South" Land

Dave, I don't have a doubt that you are willing to share the pain. But
what happened with Celine Dion? I didn't catch that.

BTW, here in Houston our CBS affiliate is broadcasting WWL-TV on one
of their HD bands. It has been a real eye opener. I may want to
discuss what I've seen and heard later when I've digested it, but it
pretty much follows from the NO newspapers open letter to the
administration in todays paper. Can you spell lambasting?

> PS: The Lisottas, A family from our church who just moved back to
> the New Orleans area after many years in California report that
> their
> house, in a subdivision between New Orleans and the path of the
> storm,
> was intact, despite 175 MPH winds in their neighborhood. The family
> is
> spread out over two states, but they're all alive and well and the
> school in their town is expected to resume in October. Great news
> among
> all the bad.

That is good to hear.
There has been more and more good news since yesterday. The Kuwaitis
want to donate 500 million and that is just a wonderful thing to hear.
A friend of mine, a reporter for the Pensacola newspaper finally got
back to me. I'd been quite worried for her only to find out she had
been busy doing good deeds for people in Biloxi.
It is a wonderful world when it isn't terrible.

xponent
For Tomorrow Maru
rob