----- Original Message -----
From: "Alberto Monteiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:27 AM
Subject: Re: Dick Cheney's least favorite TV show?

>>> Quoting Him:
>>>
>>>  Above all, I never cared for the whole Nietzchian ubermensch
>>>  thing... the notion -- pervading a great many myths and
>>>  legends -- that a good yarn has to be about demigods who
>>>  are bigger, badder, and better than normal folk by several
>>>  orders of magnitude. It's an ancient storytelling tradition
>>>  based on abiding contempt for the masses, that I find odious
>>>  in the works of A.E Van Vogt, L.Ron Hubbard, and wherever you
>>>  witness slanlike super beings deciding the fate of billions
>>>  without ever pausing to consider their wishes.
>>>
>>> Amen
>>>

>> Ignoring for the moment that the heroes of Heroes are fighting
>> against the "Slan-like superbeings" and that you mis-characterize
>> the series completely:
>>
> :-)))))))))))))))))))))))
>
> The series _is_ about demigods. They were born with demigod powers,
> not much unlike the Jedi or Sith that were born with
> midichlorians :-P

Only if Tom Orley is a demi-god.

>> To aspire to greatness is not in any way a
>> bad thing, nor is wishing for a greater reach. The history of the
>> human race is a story of such aspiration.
>>
> Yes, but unless it's possible to extend the greatness to all,
> we are dealing with a high caste of demigods doomed to rule the
> world.

AFAWKSF (as far as we know so far) the genes for the Heroes powers are
a natural occurance and must be fairly widespread thoughout the
general population in order to have the numbers of meta-humans seen.
Someone else can likely do the maths involved, but you have at least
50 or so on the Suresh list (almost all in the US) and at least that
many not on the list (for varying reasons). Then you have to account
for those with the genes as recessives. Somewhere along the line you
have to guess at the number of genes one needs to have a superpower.
It is like 6 or 8 for eyecolor (IIRC) so something as complex as
superpowers should require more. So I figure it averages out that most
people would have at least one copy of one of the genes necessarry to
have a power, even if it is one of the goofy useless ones (like
Zane's).

>> xponent
>> Thomas Orley - Enhanced Human Maru
>> rob
>>
> Tom Orley is no demigod... and his enhancements are available to
> other people in his generation or the next.

Just like on Heroes<G>

xponent
On DVD In August Maru
rob