On 6/4/07, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > AFAWKSF (as far as we know so far) the genes for the Heroes powers
> > are a natural occurance and must be fairly widespread thoughout the
> > general population in order to have the numbers of meta-humans seen.
> >
> It seems that those superpowers were "triggered" by some
> recent event. Except for Claire the cheerleader (and maybe her
> mother), none of them had superpowers before 2006.

Not really.  Some of it was just slow powers to understand/grasp
(Peter).  Some of it was external "augmentation" of some sort (Ted,
Matt).  Some of it was accidental discovery (Claire, Hiro).  There
wasn't one event particular.  It mostly seems a coincidence that the
slice of 17-35 year olds Season 1 focused on all got to know their
powers in roughly the same 6 month period.  There are enough people
outside of that window on the show to suggest that powers have been
around for a while (Linderman, Devaux, Ms. Petrelli, Claude Rains,
possibly quite a few others).

The next "Chapter" of Heroes (Season 2) is titled "Generations".

Huge spoilerish extrapolation:

Heroes seems to be implying that the "hero" talents really are just
about as common as dirt; possibly dating in the gene pool as far back
as at least the 17th Century Japan...  I think that this focus on
multiple generations "just below the surface" and yet not much more
distinct than the average person could be built up really well.  If
done well I think it would be one of the major things truly setting
this storyline apart from the similar ones (frex: X-Men) and slightly
more realistic from a genetics standpoint (not that "mutant powers"
ever can be all that genetically realistic)...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the writers expand this
mythos in the coming seasons...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/