----- Original Message -----
From: "Alberto Monteiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: Dick Cheney's least favorite TV show?

> Robert Seeberger wrote:
>>
>>> The series _is_ about demigods. They were born with demigod
>>> powers,
>>> not much unlike the Jedi or Sith that were born with
>>> midichlorians :-P
>>
>> Only if Tom Orley is a demi-god.
>>
> Tom Orley's "powers" are nowhere near the demigods of Heroes.

Bah!
Most of the powers are not all that special and would not allow any
individual to dominate large numbers of people. While the "Heroes" are
a bit flashy, the majority of them are not much different than Orley.
Outside of Peter and Sylar, Orley could likey whoop most of them.
Orley is definately smarter than any of them. I believe Orleys
intelligence accounts for a great deal.
I would also note that HRG (Noah Bennet) has no powers but has been on
top of the empowered individuals almost all the series.

>>> Yes, but unless it's possible to extend the greatness to all,
>>> we are dealing with a high caste of demigods doomed to rule the
>>> world.
>>
>> AFAWKSF (as far as we know so far) the genes for the Heroes powers
>> are a natural occurance and must be fairly widespread thoughout the
>> general population in order to have the numbers of meta-humans
>> seen.
>>
> It seems that those superpowers were "triggered" by some
> recent event. Except for Claire the cheerleader (and maybe her
> mother), none of them had superpowers before 2006.

Watch the *Entire* series. That is just not true.

>> Someone else can likely do the maths involved, but you have at
>> least
>> 50 or so on the Suresh list (almost all in the US) and at least
>> that
>> many not on the list (for varying reasons).
>>
> Like MiB (and 9/11), NY seems to be an attractor of freaks.
>
>> Then you have to account
>> for those with the genes as recessives. Somewhere along the line
>> you
>> have to guess at the number of genes one needs to have a
>> superpower.
>> It is like 6 or 8 for eyecolor (IIRC) so something as complex as
>> superpowers should require more. So I figure it averages out that
>> most people would have at least one copy of one of the genes
>> necessarry to have a power, even if it is one of the goofy useless
>> ones (like Zane's).
>>
> Zane? I don't remember this name (BTW, I can hardly remeber the
> names
> of them all - better be Hiro-like and call them by the superpowers).

Zane could make metals turn into a liquid form without using heat.

>>> Tom Orley is no demigod... and his enhancements are available to
>>> other people in his generation or the next.
>>
>> Just like on Heroes<G>
>>
> No, because Tom Orley was enhanced by Science, and the Hiros were
> born with the superpowers.

Tom was born enhanced too, you know.
So is it genetics or an event?
Inquiring minds want to know!