Robert Seeberger wrote:

>> The series _is_ about demigods. They were born with demigod powers,
>> not much unlike the Jedi or Sith that were born with
>> midichlorians :-P
>
> Only if Tom Orley is a demi-god.

Tom Orley's "powers" are nowhere near the demigods of Heroes.

>>> To aspire to greatness is not in any way a
>>> bad thing, nor is wishing for a greater reach. The history of the
>>> human race is a story of such aspiration.
>>
>> Yes, but unless it's possible to extend the greatness to all,
>> we are dealing with a high caste of demigods doomed to rule the
>> world.
>
> AFAWKSF (as far as we know so far) the genes for the Heroes powers
> are a natural occurance and must be fairly widespread thoughout the
> general population in order to have the numbers of meta-humans seen.

It seems that those superpowers were "triggered" by some
recent event. Except for Claire the cheerleader (and maybe her
mother), none of them had superpowers before 2006.

> Someone else can likely do the maths involved, but you have at least
> 50 or so on the Suresh list (almost all in the US) and at least that
> many not on the list (for varying reasons).

Like MiB (and 9/11), NY seems to be an attractor of freaks.

> Then you have to account
> for those with the genes as recessives. Somewhere along the line you
> have to guess at the number of genes one needs to have a superpower.
> It is like 6 or 8 for eyecolor (IIRC) so something as complex as
> superpowers should require more. So I figure it averages out that
> most people would have at least one copy of one of the genes
> necessarry to have a power, even if it is one of the goofy useless
> ones (like Zane's).

Zane? I don't remember this name (BTW, I can hardly remeber the names
of them all - better be Hiro-like and call them by the superpowers).

>> Tom Orley is no demigod... and his enhancements are available to
>> other people in his generation or the next.
>
> Just like on Heroes<G>

No, because Tom Orley was enhanced by Science, and the Hiros were
born with the superpowers.

Alberto Monteiro