On 27 Jan 2008, at 03:28, Robert Seeberger wrote:

> On 1/26/2008 8:47:30 PM, William T Goodall ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> wrote:
>> On 27 Jan 2008, at 02:27, Robert Seeberger wrote:

1) The intent of the founder of a religion is not part of the
definition of whether it is or is not a religion for very obvious
reasons:

a) We can't know the real intent of the founder.
b) Discussion of religion degenerates into attacks on the character of
the founders rather than the practices of the religion.

2) Whether the founder of a religion was a fraud who made it up for
selfish purposes or a genuinely insane person with voices in his head
is neither here nor there - the religion is the same sick nonsense
either way.

3) An inscrutable god might choose a false prophet to deliver true
religion. Since inscrutable gods do those kind of things :)

4) Just because a religion is made up as a joke and everyone knows it
doesn't mean it's not a real religion e.g. Discordianism.  Being
*actually true* can't be part of the definition of religion for
obvious reasons.

a) *At most* one religion can be true, yet there are thousands of
religions.

> If you do indeed draw a line between organizations with origins that
> arise from actual faith and those who are scams perpetrated for
> various reasons when defining religions then we might have something
> to discuss.

So Christianity is a scam because of the existence of greedy lying
televangelists and mega-church pastors? Or it's not a scam despite
them since some people genuinely believe it? But some people genuinely
believe Scientology too.

Subtleties Maru.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
atrocities." ~Voltaire.