[Lance] wrote:
> Jo Anne, did you have an HSA or a health care flexible spending account?
>  Flexible spending accounts have a pre-selected amount of pre-tax
> dollars set aside that you can then spend on non-covered medical
> expenses.  Those funds "expires" at the end of the calendar year.  I
> thought all HSA accounts allowed you to accrue money over time.
>
> Flexible spending accounts do need a fair bit of crystal ball gazing.  I
> lost about 500 bucks last year because I overestimated my needs.

Ya know, I'm not sure.  It must have been the flex account, because we had a
choice of how much we put into it every month, but it did expire after a
year. We lost money one year too.

An accountant friend of mine told me where that money went once, but it
didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I didn't put it in long term memory.
It had to go somewhere, I just wonder who benefitted from my not using my
savings for my own care.  I suppose I could have gotten lots of "unnecessary
tests" to make up the difference.

This is one more thing that annoys the hell out of me about our current
health care.  You need an advanced degree in Understanding the Health Care
System to make good choices and not bankrupt yourself.

Amities,

Jo Anne
evens...@hevanet.com