On 17 Aug 2009 at 17:06, John Williams wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Andrew
> Crystall<dawnfal...@upliftwar.com> wrote:
> > On 17 Aug 2009 at 12:51, John Williams wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Andrew
> >> Crystall<dawnfal...@upliftwar.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> No, considering pre-existing conditions is not how health status
> >> insurance works. It takes into account the risks of health insurance
> >> premiums rising drastically in the future.
> >
> > Which are based on your pre-existing conditions, right.
>
> Yes, health insurance premiums are based on pre-existing conditions.
> But  health STATUS insurance premiums are not (they are based on
> likelihood of future chronic costly conditions).

And in most cases, the likelyhood of you developing those conditions
is dependent on pre-existing conditions!

> >> percent> >> | to 5 percent. If these lower trends can be further
> >> validated, it will > >> | represent a substantial cost-reduction strategy
> >> for employers and > >> | employees.

>> 3-5%, when the total health cost overrun compared to other
>>countries systems is an order of magnitude higher. Hmm.
>
> 3 to 5% PER YEAR. It adds up.

So it magically constantly decreases costs? No, read it again - the
trend is that it will be 3-5% cheaper than a "PPO" plan.

>Actually, a health insurance market without government interference
>would be a lot more consumer-driven than the current system, which
>is why I mentioned it. In nearly all cases, if there is to be a

Howso? You've just empowered the insurance companies to do a lot more
cherrypicking of good customers and to jack rates up for everyone
else.

AndrewC