On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Nick Arnett<nick.arn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is health care so unimportant that it deserves no regulation?

We are starting from different worldviews, I think. I believe in
freedom for people to make agreements with each other as they choose
-- that is my starting point. You appear to believe that freedom is
something that is to be permitted by government, when it concerns
something unimportant, otherwise, if something is important, than the
government should restrict the freedom of people to make consensual
agreements.

So I would say that health care is important, and therefore people
deserve to have free choice in the matter.

> Is health care so unimportant that people should have to compete with each
> other (that's the other side of the equation when the companies are
> competing) for basic care?

I cannot answer the should, I can only answer that the fact is that
people do have to contend for limited resources in the world. There is
not enough health care to give everyone in the world unlimited care.
And several people that have posted here do not seem to believe that
Americans should allocate their health care resources equally among
all Americans AND non-Americans. So there is definitely competition
among people in the world for health care. Just as there is
competition for food and shelter.

> If we take it as a given that a consumer-driven
> market for health care is better, then why not do the same with roads,
> police, water, oxygen, etc.?

I'm not sure I follow the oxygen part. For the others, I would like to
see more privately run roads and less government interference in water
companies. I've stated here recently that I think police are best
handled through government, since I think it is less likely to be
suborned than private police.

Another related question is why are the markets for essentials like
food and shelter largely free of government interference, while health
care markets have such extensive government interference?

I think it has to do with people being afraid and emotional about
health care, and not being good at rational analysis on the subject.