On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM, David Hobby<hob...@newpaltz.edu> wrote:

> I'd guess that Patrick is expecting health insurance
> to have health status insurance already built into it.

One would think the whole point of health insurance is to provide you
with health care (more precisely, the funds to acquire such) should
you fall ill.

Both of us are playing the odds. I'm betting that I'll need some
expensive procedure I can't afford on my own someday; the insurer bets
I don't.

But if I do fall ill, for the insurer to raise my rates rather than
provide the agreed-upon care seems like dirty pool. And to suggest
that I ought to insure my insurance policy (and perhaps to be certain,
I ought to insure the insurance on my insurance?) seems like a sign of
massively broken system. For anyone but the insurers, at least.

Patrick