On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Patrick Sweeney<firefly.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM, David Hobby<hob...@newpaltz.edu> wrote:

> But if I do fall ill, for the insurer to raise my rates rather than
> provide the agreed-upon care seems like dirty pool.

That is only true if you had an agreement with the insurance company
that lasted longer than a month or year. All insurance has a time
period either explicit or implicit. Most of today's individual health
insurance plans have a short time period. The premiums are low for
healthy people because the chances of a healthy person needing costly
care over a short period is relatively low.

If, on the other hand, one signed a health insurance contract for a
lifetime policy (or even, say 10 years) with a fixed premium, then the
premium would be higher than that for a short period policy, since the
chances of needing prolonged, costly care are higher over a longer
period.

A long-term policy or a bundled health-insurance /
health-status-insurance policy may be preferable for some people. But
personally, I don't like to be locked into anything that I can avoid.
I would prefer to have flexibility to change my health insurance
providers...even every year if I want. Having separate health
insurance and health status insurance would be a benefit for me,
allowing me more choice.