Lance A. Brown wrote:
> John Williams said the following on 8/16/2009 5:08 PM:
>> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM, David Hobby<hob...@newpaltz.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> It does strike me as a kludge, though.  To continue
>>> your example of car insurance, I don't believe that
>>> anybody markets insurance against having your car
>>> insurance premiums rise dramatically.
>> I do not think there is a as large a risk of such a dramatic rise in
>> auto insurance premiums. Possibly auto insurance premiums could go up
>> 5x after 2 DUI's, but short of that, I cannot think of anything that
>> would result in such a thing. And that is relatively unlikely,
>> compared to developing a chronic condition at some point in one's
>> life.
>
> The analogy between auto and health insurance fails in one regard:  Most
> of the time, a 5x increase in auto insurance premiums is a direct result
> of decisions by the covered person.  Many of causes for increases in
> health insurance premiums are outside the control of the covered person.
>
> Should this play into the plans?  I don't know.
>
> --[Lance]

I've heard people say that insurance reform should discriminate between
lifestyle risks and inherent risks.

So insurance could charge someone with type II diabetes more, but not
someone with type I diabetes.  You could charge more to people who,
smoke, are over weight, who don't exercise, or who practice un-safe sex.

You couldn't charge more because of sex, age, or a prior cancer--except
to the extent it was caused by a lifestyle choice.