On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Andrew
Crystall<dawnfal...@upliftwar.com> wrote:

> Many people won't go for checkups if they have to pay out of pocket,
> and they will ignore dangerous conditions for too long.

Did you read the article, or just the excerpts I posted? This was
discussed in the article.

> Sure, evidence is that because you'd be punishing people financially
> when they wanted proper preventative care, they'll be paying out more
> in the longer run.

No, there was nothing suggested that would "punish people" for
preventative care.

> And you still have the exact same condition of many people being one
> illness from poverty, a refusal to cover pre-existing conditions and
> no way for poorer people to get the care they need for those
> conditions, leading to a need for chronic care rather than far
> cheaper accute care.

Dealing with the poor was discussed in the article, as was mandatory
catastrophic insurance for all. As for the other things, please see
the article I referenced in another post about health-status
insurance.