Lopo de Almeida - Care2x wrote:
> The CORE (module) should be minimal and very similar to what you can see
> done with Drupal's Organic Groups. Also, if using Drupal as the base
> system

I do agree with that.

> But I still think that the decision model and the legal structure is the
> issue here and not the coding part.

Open source is, in essence, a meritocracy - the one who writes the most
or the better code is the leader.

Care2x always had many talkers and free riders and few coders. It is
true that much of its problems are to be traced back to Elpidio. He and
he only, let the project to reach a state of unnecessarily complexity
and I bet that now not even he is able to fully understand the full code
structure.

In this case the Drupal way of encapsulating the several functions of
code is a good road to contain complexity. Drupal has now more than 1200
contributed modules: DrupalTechTalk
<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4603504844034540440&hl=en-CA>.

Sourceforge based CVS was a good thing years ago.
But it slowly turned into something closed and proprietary that harms
projects more than it helps them.
And I am not referring to the footer of any and each email that we send
to each other in this mailing list:

as MS is not widely known to be a friend of open source projects.

I would rather like to see Care2x based in the Ubuntu Linux's
"Launchpad" CVS, as it is widely seen as a better way to let different
people contribute different code, even if that code does not agree with
the main project governance.

> In common the last two have a collegiate decision model and a
> association type legal structure and they know that to push a project
> from a certain point forward funds and a legal entity are required.

Those projects have a management team that makes it very easy for anyone
to report bugs and send code.
Even if the project leaders do not like the code, it still hangs there
for others to comment and improve, until it gets up to the main
project's objectives.
Have you ever tried to do that at the sourceforge based Care2x?
Did you manage to post anything without you-know-who's approval?
Did you feel that your changes were promptly available to everyone else?

> I started a discussion just with the other "admins" sometime ago about
> all this stuff and only Robert really replied. Nothing result on this
> "discussion".

You are lucky. You haven't never been shut down and excluded from the
Care2x mail lists by you-know-who.
I can assure you that that has happened in the past.

So, I can not see a simpler structure than a Drupal-like organization,
based on project glue tools that the Ubuntu project uses: the bzr CVS
(http://bazaar-vcs.org/) and the Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/) code
infrastructure.

I bet that if Elpidio agreed to work in a country like Portugal, after a
few months he would radically change his attitudes towards project
management and life in general. And, yes, that is an invitation.

Best Regards,

J.