On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 at 16:19 Neil Salmon <n.sal...@mmu.ac.uk> wrote:

> Jack,
>

> I’m thinking the data rate and the computational load is just too large
> for Roach2, so it might be easier to design the whole think from scratch
> around latest most powerful FPGA, and designing single bit sampling
> receiver circuits. The IF centre frequency is likely to be ~3 GHz with the
> 300 MHz bandwidth, so I’ll need to design receiver analogue circuits that
> operate at these frequencies, with either analogue or digital downshift,
> which then interface to the FPGA board.

If rolling out custom hardware is an option, then that will certainly leave
you with a smaller system.

> Would you happen to know which software packages I might use and have
> access to from ac.uk  if I wanted to design the digital receiver boards
> and FPGA boards at these frequencies?

I don't have any direct experience attempting to obtain board design tools
in the UK, but I know there is the europractice software service which can
get you licenses to various design packages supposedly at reasonable cost (
http://www.europractice.stfc.ac.uk/). I have to say I'm not entirely sure
what's available in the board design realm.....

Jack