From: bounce-7531176-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-7531176-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Dave Nutter
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:27 AM
To: cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Crows?

Andrew,
Crows are very social animals.  They live in family groups during the breeding
season,
with a multi-year learning period, and young birds raised the previous year
often help
their parents to raise their younger siblings.  In the non-breeding season
crows gather into
massive roosting congregations in the late afternoon.  In recent years these
roosts have
been much more conspicuous to people as the birds have chosen urban areas with
large
trees.  In the morning they commute to farm fields to search for waste corn or
to dumps
(or the Cornell food services composting facility) for waste food.  Toward
March and the
onset of breeding season the roost breaks up and the birds return to their
family territories.
I think some local birds here retain residency in their territories during
winter as well.  Those
winter roosts are amazing, just to consider all the biomass, and the area over
which they
must be feeding.  Their socializing is noisy and active before and after their
actual sleeping
time and includes areas outside the actual roost.  They are harmless, of
course, but people
whose knowledge of biology extends only to Alfred Hitchcock movies may be
unnerved.
And people whose possessions are underneath roost trees with hundreds of birds
will be
understandably unhappy with the birds' defecation.  I like to watch the flocks'
swirling flight.
Kevin McGowan has been studying crows in this area for years, and I hope he
will expand
upon (and if necessary correct) this post.  His project is responsible for the
crows with
various colored wing tags, each color representing a different year.  Most
crows are tagged
in the nest before they are old enough to leave.  Each bird's tags has a
2-digit code, and
if you tell Kevin which bird you have seen when and where, he may return the
favor with
a brief life history of that individual.
--Dave Nutter