compiled:October  29 AT 4:00 p.m. (EDT)
compiler: Joseph Brin
Onondaga Audubon Homepage: www.onondagaaudubon.org

Tuesday October 29, 2013

Greetings. This is the Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert for the week of
October 21, 2013

Highlights:
-----------

PACIFIC LOON
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
WHITE-FACED IBIS
GLOSSY IBIS
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE
ROSS’S GOOSE
SANDHILL CRANE
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER
AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER
PARASITIC JAEGER
ICELAND GULL
FORSTER’S TERN
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER

     Greetings birders! I’m relieved to say that after three months in the
hospital and physical therapy my wife is home and recovering nicely. I do
appreciate the kind words many of you sent to me during this time. Now it’s
back to reporting Birds of the week.

Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (MNWR) and Montezuma Wetlands Complex (MWC)
------------

     10/27: Both the GLOSSY and WHITE-FACED IBIS were relocated, this time at
the Visitor’s Center but were skulking in the grasses and were hard to see. At
Knox-Marsellus Marsh both AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS are still there as well as
SANDHILL CRANES, BLACK-BELLIED and AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS, and a single ROSS’S
GOOSE. Along Towpath Road an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER was seen.
     10/28: At Colvin Marsh just south of the MAC on Rt. 89 7 LONG-BILLE
DOWITCHERS and a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER were found.

Oswego County
------------

     10/22: A PACIFIC LOON was spotted flying past Derby Hill from the bluff.
     10/24: 2 PARASITIC JAEGERS, an ICELAND GULL and a FORSTER’S TERN were all
seen from the bluff at Derby Hill.

Onondaga County
------------

     10/24: A GREATER WHITE FRONTED GOOSE was found in the pond at Van Buren
Park south of Baldwinsville. It was seen as recently as yesterday.
     10/28: An ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER was found at Three Rivers WMA north of
Baldwinsville under the power lines east of 60 Road.

Extralimital

     A RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD continues to visit a feeder on Mynderse Street in
Seneca Falls.

--  end report

Joseph Brin
Region 5