Dear All,

I am having trouble refining a difficult case of alternate structures in REFMAC. In the crystal, two states superimpose: 1) Apo-protein with its own auto-inhibitory tail fixed into the ligand binding site
and
2) Peptide-bound protein, where the peptide has displaced the auto-inhibitory tail. this also includes alternate side-chains of the protein ligand binding site, according to the apo state or peptide-bound state

I was hoping that assigning 'A' and 'B' alternate states (for 'apo' and 'peptide-bound') to the protein chain (chain A)
[ex:
ATOM 62 C ATYR A 17 20.856 42.150 21.476 0.60 75.23 C]

and state 'B' to the peptide
[ex:
ATOM 87 N BALA D 513 9.910 69.145 50.780 0.40 20.00 N]

would do the job - but unfortunately, even though refmac refines this structure, the two states 'sense' each other, and refmac refinement applies repulsive forces, pulling the apo-auto-inhibitory tail and the peptide away from each other...

Neither the refmac manual, nor the ccp4bb archives helped, so I thought one of you might...

many thanks

Stefan

Stefan T. Arold, PhD
Centre de Biochimie Structurale