Forwarded from Jane Richardson:

Yuan Lin,

The sources you've been given (esp. the reduced-variable ones)
are excellent for identifying RNA structural motifs but not very good
for crystallographic validation, and the PDB tools are still primitive
for nucleic acids.  Fortunately, a suitable system is pretty far along
in development and partly available now.
    The backbone committee of the RNA Ontology Consortium (our Duke
group, Helen Berman, Bohdan Schneider, Loren Williams, and Anna Marie
Pyle) has agreed on a nomenclature and a consensus set of valid
all-angle conformers for RNA backbone (soon to be published in RNA).
As part of that, we developed a program Suitename that will assign
those conformer names or declare an outlier for each suite
(sugar-to-sugar unit) in an RNA structure.  It will soon be part of
our MolProbity validation site (http://molprobity.biochem.duke.edu),
but we'd be glad to send it to you now in advance.  Already on
MolProbity you can get a quick and easy analysis of all-atom steric
clashes and probable bad sugar puckers (Davis 2007 NAR web issue, now
on-line), which can locate most of the backbone fitting errors.

Jane Richardson

On Tue, 8 May 2007 19:41:13 -0400