Hi Martyn & Dirk,

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:18:14PM +0200, Dirk Kostrewa wrote:
> I want to second Miguel: a switch between a "basic" GUI (could be with
> even less options) and an  "advanced" and "expert" GUI that allows
> access to most and all options that can be used in scripts would be
> absolutely great! It would allow novice users to do a good job on
> "standard" problems, and gives experienced users the freedom to use any
> option of a program in more difficult cases. A similar idea is
> implemented in the SUSHI GUI of SHARP, where such a switch allows you to
> change less or more phase refinement and improvement parameters.

What we do there is to always present all options: but depending on
the level (beginner, advanced, expert) a user has declared him/herself
some might be greyed out. This way even a beginner will see that there
are more options - and (most importantly) gets the help messages and
explanations for those advanced options. But only a few items can be
changed by a beginner.

So if the CCP4i would get a beginner/advanced/expert mode I think it
would be best to try and adopt this idea (greying out boxes) if
possible. If expert options are just collected and placed into a
spearate 'folder' widget they would loose their position within some
logical, crystallographic context, making it possibly more confusing
to understand what they mean.

Cheers

Clemens

*