I have to say that in my limited experience with membrane protein
crystallization, these liquid crystal / spherulite type things are very
common, and seldom turn into anything useful. Perhaps others on the list
more experienced than I can corroborate or refute this. I just don't want
this guy to get misled into perhaps wasting months/years on something not
particularly promising. But, as I said, I am happy to be
contested/refuted...

Jacob