We used to use dichlorodimethylsilane in toluene to siliconize both
coverslips and the special glass capillaries for crystal mounting.
I don't have the protocol we used anymore, but the one listed on
protocolpedia sounds familiar.
https://www.protocolpedia.com/blog/2017/05/11/siliconized-coverslips-2/
I recall we often baked the items afterwards.

We used to use staining racks to hold the coverslips and a staining
vessel to hold the solution (in a hood). The racks looked like
https://www.thomassci.com/Equipment/Histology/_/THOMAS-COVER-GLASS-STAINING-OUTFITS?q=Cover%20Glass%20Rack
it looks like sigma also has a poly-propylene rack that is much
less expensive,
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/z688568?lang=en&region=US&cm_sp=Insite-_-recent_fixed-_-recent5-5
but they may be incompatible with toluene.

Regards,
Mitch

Quoting Zhijie Li <zhijie...@utoronto.ca>:

Hi,

I believe that one can put a 50-100uL drop of fresh SigmaCote (in a tube cap) with the glass pieces (surface well exposed), sealed in a dedicated (because the container will be coated too) container (air-tight lunch boxes). After a while the SigmaCote vapor should react with the glass and bring polysiloxane groups to the glass surface. I have done this with microscope slips. To make a few hundred .22 mm cover slips I think the major challenge is to make a frame for supporting the separated (~1mm apart to allow free diffusion?) cover slips (3D print?). Dry paper may work too. If some of the cover slips tend to stick together, a little vacuuming can help.

SigmaCote is a chlorinated polysiloxane. The Cl-Si group allows it to react with the hydroxyls on glass surface. Just be aware that the same group reacts even more readily with water in air, making the reagent less reactive with glass overtime (but I have used a VERY old bottle and it worked).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosilane

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/j100727a046

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma/Product_Information_Sheet/1/sl2pis.pdf

Zhijie

On 31/01/2019 4:16 a.m., herman.schreu...@sanofi.com<mailto:herman.schreu...@sanofi.com> wrote: A long time ago, before siliconized coverslips became commercially available, we used to siliconize coverslips ourselves. It is not really that much work and unsiliconized cover slips should be very cheap. If you wish, I could try to find back the protocol.
Best,
Herman