in my experience using silane with PAGE plates, rain-x is much better (at least
in that case).
jon

Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Goldman,
Adrian
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2019 17:43
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] Is there any alternative to siliconized glass coverslips
for crystallization?

When I was a graduate student, about 150,000 years ago, we took regular
coverslips and doused them in ?silane to make siliconised ones.  You then let
them sit in a rack to dry.  It was a bit tedious but not horrendously so.
After a while, I stopped doing it altogether, because IMHO it didn’t make a
massive amount of difference to the behaviour of the solution on the cover
slip.  It would bead up, or not, depending on what it was.

So my advice would be: 1) siliconise yourself; 2) compare siliconised versus
non and decide if you can be bothered.

Adrian Goldman

On 31 Jan 2019, at 16:02, Holton, James M
<0000270165b9f4cf-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk<mailto:0000270165b9f4cf-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk>>
 wrote:

plastic.

Plastic cover slips are no good for UV or polarization, but they are way better
than glass if you happen to want to try in-situ diffraction.
(https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889800001254)

If you can't afford commercial ones, then you can always cut up some inkjet
transparency film sheets like McPherson did in the above reference.  Then after
you've made a few hundred you can ask yourself how much you'd be willing to pay
somebody else to do it for you.  There is no wrong answer to that question, but
it will determine which route you take.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist