> On 17 Mar 2023, at 15:01, Guillaume Gaullier <guillaume.gaull...@kemi.uu.se>
> wrote:
>
> CryoEM papers often show a map in a main figure, and as a reader I think it
> is very nice to show me the map that convinced you of some finding before
> showing me your interpretation of this map.

Surely a key difference is that cryoEM maps (assuming you mean SPA) are not
calculated with phases derived from the model shown built into the map?

Most maps shown to convince the reader of the validity of the authors
interpretation of the electron density in X-ray crystallography papers use some
attempt at removing bias from 2Fo-Fc or Fo-Fc density when the phases have at
some point in the refinement been derived from a model including the region of
interest. Few are “discovery maps” to use Dale Tronrud’s term:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ccp4bb@jiscmail.ac.uk/msg04276.html

Huw