So sprach Joerg Schilling am Tue, May 22, 2001 at 01:24:58AM +0200:
> In our research institute nobody bought a PC with less that 512 MB in 2001.
> Asking perople abouth their private PC's, I know that nobod bought less than
> 128 MB for a PC that is new this year.

While 512 MB is still way above normal, 128 MB isn't.  Quite some come even
with 256 MB.  From my judgement, I'd say that the majority of PCs which will
be bought this year will have at least 128 MB - just have a look at how much
RAM Windows XP and/or Windows 2000 require, and you'll see how this comes.

> The fact that you know how to reconfigure Linux to make a ATAPI CD-writer
> work does not mean that the average Linux user knows how to do this.
> I am simply asking that Linux should dafault to a configuration that
> is easy to use for most of it's current (new) users.

And this makes sense.  If most (all?) of the *CURRENT* CD Roms support
ide-scsi, and if ide-scsi doesn't have any bad side effects for *CURRENT* CD
Roms, than by all means: Make this the default, so that cd writing get's
easier to setup!

> Open/close tray, lock tray, read audio, read toc, change error recovery parameters
> and a lot more.

Well, I could care less about Open/Close/Lock tray, but the other features
are much more important, IMHO.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)