On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:31 AM, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> Quoting Vince Bonfanti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> JRun 4 + CFMX = $900/CPU + $3400/CPU = $4300/CPU
>> Tomcat + BlueDragon = Free + $1000/server = $1000/server
>
> Well, as long as you can't buy 32 CPU Mac's ...

Well, rumor has it that....

I have been told by others on this list that per-CPU charges are normal
for this type of application,

And, that if you are deploying on robust installations with multiple
boxes/CPUs, that support is more of a cost consideration than
acquisition cost.

All things being equal, lower costs would be better.  But
BlueDragon/Tomcat does not equal CFMXJ2EE/Tomcat or CFMXJ2EE/JRun -- so
acquisition cost is only one parameter in the decision.

Interesting, though, the Mac OS Server software does not charge per CPU
-- here's a quote from the apple site:

No per-user “taxes”
Xserve lets you eliminate the most galling expense in your department’s
budget: the per-user “tax” you’ve been obliged to pay for using server
software. Since Xserve comes with an unlimited-client license for the
UNIX-based, industrial-strength Mac OS X Server, you can serve
thousands of additional users — without spending thousands of
additional dollars in licensing fees.

I assume that this is similar to Linux, and one of the reasons that
Linux is attractive to large users.

Dick