On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Eric Roberts wrote:
> When I worked at Discovery Education, we had a system that would take code
> from the dev server (as selected on a web based screen that listed the
> entire directory with checkboxes), commit it, merge it to the test
> repository and update the test code.  Once everything was tested, you
> checked the files you wanted to move to production, it would then repeat the
> above process and merge them to a staging server to be included in the next
> release.  That is what I am looking for.  I see a lot of CMS stuff, but that
> isn't what I am looking for (though I can see some use for that as well
> hehehe).  I want to make it so that once this is set up, we don't have to
> remote or ftp to any of the servers to update code.

Heh, yeah, the repo-management aspect was part of why I was wanking on
this stuff.  Trying to make it to where a not-so-trained monkey could
keep things running, if need be.  Via the web, no less!  :-)

I did use a little foresight, so what you propose isn't sounding too
crazy--  the tree-control that I use, for instance: lazy loaded, so
you don't have to pull the whole repository at once.
I also have some stuff that uses the JDT compiler to compile java
code, and then dynamically load it, so things that are hard in CF, you
can do in Java, and you can do it the same way you do CF-- edit the
java file, and hit ctrl+F5 (or shift+apple-R).  There's only been one
thing that I used it for, with the svn stuff, but it's nice to have
the option (especially with deltas and whatnot, perhaps).

> If you or anyone knows of any products that would achieve this, I would
> appreciate it.  I suppose I can eventually write my own, but I just don't
> have the time to do that right now.

I hear it.  [-|

I bet there are some far-out products for this type stuff, but I also
bet they cost more than a fancy car or two.

|-Den

--
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and
your better is best.