The reality is that Railo and Open BlueDragon are not growing the market for
CFML. No one is *switching to* CFML from PHP, .NET, Ruby, or Java because of
the OSS engines. To the extent that this might happen, it is an
infinitesimally small number of projects. If any of the OSS engines have
data to contradict that assertion, I'd love to see it.

The OSS engines, particularly Railo, were initially touted as a gateway for
people working on other platforms, which is why their partnership with JBoss
created such hope and expectation. This has not happened. What *has*
happened is that a small but noticeable number of existing ColdFusion users
have moved to the OSS engines. As an Adobe Community Professional, I'm privy
to more "internal" information and direct communication with the Adobe
employees. The primary drain on the Adobe ColdFusion user base is people
moving to one of the OSS CFML engines. Not people leaving for PHP or .NET.
People do leave for other platforms, and new people do come in, but that
just means that the total size of the CFML community as a whole is fairly
static in size. And now that total pie is being divided between CF, Railo,
and OBD.

I personally like most of the individual people involved in the OSS
projects. I've known many of them for years. So this is not personal at all.
But if the biggest drain on the ColdFusion user base is coming from the OSS
engines, then Adobe is absolutely right to treat them as their top
competitors. To NOT do this would be foolish. If the OSS engines were
actually pulling in droves of new users from other platforms, this whole
dynamic would probably be much different. But that is simply not the case.

Brian