>>Application servers are inherently complex, and it takes a certain
level of expertise to set them up. There's no getting around that.

You're right.
However, there are two approches that can be taken in installation procedures.
One year ago I had to move from a W2003 to a W2008 server and to a new version
of IIS.
I discovered that in Windows and IIS every thing was locked and blocked and
nothing was working out of the box.
I had to learn every thing since IIS 7 is completely different.
So I had to unlock, give permissions etc. until I could have a site operational.
On the other hand, the CF server was operational right away, but then I had to
secure it.
So you're right when you say that it takes a certain level of expertise, but
this level can be used in two different directions.
The first is "secure by default", the second more like "usecure by default"
The first may be more frustrating, but the second is kind of more dangereous.