> > If you let your nephew install a server and don't
> > bother to double check his work, that is *your* fault, no one else.
>
> What does this matter when the bad juju blows back publicly on the product
> itself?
>
> Blaming the customer for problems in other channels typically doesn't tend
> to end well for the seller.  Thats what I am seeing here.  I know you're
> right... but is that relevant to long term sales growth?  I'm no longer a
> full-time CF developer.  I run a company whose focus has to be on customer
> service.  I cannot imagine an approach like that surviving in my
> marketplace for long.  So I'm not looking at this from a technical
> perspective.  At its root this is not a tech problem at all.  Its a problem
> with consumer perception of the product.

Like you, I'm in a business that has to focus on customer service. But
I think there's an important difference in expectations between
providing services and selling tools. My customers expect me to know
how to do things right - to understand how my tools work. When you buy
a tool, you are expected to know how to use the tool, and there is
only so much the tool vendor can do to prevent you from misusing the
tool.

Application servers are inherently complex, and it takes a certain
level of expertise to set them up. There's no getting around that. I
agree that Adobe might be able to do a couple of things to make the
process easier, but I think those things might also have unintended
consequences - breaking existing applications, etc. In the end,
security is going to rely on the knowledge of the administrator and
developers.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
1-202-527-9569
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.