While the info and experienced you shared may help some, I'd like to point
out that you'd not be *entirely* "up the creek with no paddle" if you had to
(or chose to) be stuck with IIS. First, the limitation to not create more
than one site in IIS is only a limitation in XP (or Windows 2000
Workstation). In Win2k3 or Win2k Server one can indeed create multiple
sites.

Still, I realize that most don't have those and so are stuck, say, with XP.
Still, there is a solution it may benefit to know about (some will already,
of course). It's not that you can't have multiple web sites, just that IIS
won't let you create them (and won't let you run more than one at a time).
But there are ways to create multiple web sites, so that as long as you only
need to run one at a time, you can get around problems like you described.

One of the best tools for this is IISAdmin, at
http://www.firstserved.net/services/iisadmin.php.

I wrote a blog entry about it, with more background, when I was with New
Atlanta:

http://bluedragon.blog-city.com/multisitesoniis.htm

All that said, I certainly don't mean to dissuade anyone from learning about
Apache as well. It's really nice to have both the alternative and knowledge
of it.

/charlie