Quite so, Charlie.  In fact I've been running with IIS quite happily
for years now, in the current IIIS5.1 on WInXPPro and its
predecessors.   I currently have 42 sites on my dev machine at various
states of development.

What's prompted this change is the increasing tendency of things like
frameworks to require placement at the root of the site.
Specifically, the marvellous Reactor, (which dynamcally builds all the
queries, DAO CFCs etc without requiring me to write any SQL at all!!)
has to be placed at the root of the site, and if you have mappings
pointing to the root you get all kinds of problems making it work.

In short, I needed all my sites to each have their own site root
rather than being one level below the root with a mapping to enable
includes etc.

As you say Charlie, there are more ways than one to achieve this and I
have no issue with IIS - it drives all of my production sites.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month