Thanks for the prompt responses.

If the destination of the smbautohome is a volume then yes, I concur. Previous
Versions works and .zfs is visible e.g. zpool pstuds, volume a, volume a1234567.

My problem occurs when the destination is a directory nested within a volume
e.g. zpool pstuds, volume a, directory a1234567.

I cannot see .zfs or Previous Versions when I use this hierarchy unless as I’ve
already explained, I point to a higher level UNC at the volume level which is
not ideal.

Other than set an ACL on the directory, I’ve altered nothing from the default
so I think this should work.