I was also told that with service instances you get the ability to monitor per vlan flows across an interface, which I don't think was possible in previous, legacy trunk configurations....
3600#sh sn m i i | in 0/6 GigabitEthernet0/6.ServiceInstance.491: Ifindex = 20509 GigabitEthernet0/6: Ifindex = 10106 ...new port level snmp monitor point for say for instance layer 2 entity, vlan 491 flows on g0/6 Also, I was told and I saw something weird with the overarching l3 svi for say for instance vlan 491 erroneously (or by design, I dunno) does NOT show actually traffic that is passing via that efp 491 svc instance on g0/6....i mean even when I knew that I should be seeing hits on counters for svi vlan 491 and I wasn't, someone in this forum (sorry I forget the name of the person) told me that this is probably caused by the new design of the 3600 and mef-type efp interface configs, and that I should be using svc instances to see per L2 flows via a interface. Aaron -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Saku Ytti Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:35 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ME3600x sub-interfaces On (2012-10-26 13:50 -0400), Jason Lixfeld wrote: > Service instances are Cisco's 2012 way of doing subinterfaces: Which is utterly inexcusable, just because you support some new things in the backend, does not mean you should expose completely new abstraction model to the frontend. What you configure in EVC should be configurable just as well in subinterface. With the difference that your existing config parsers would work and your existing SNMP graphing would work etc. I'm not even proponent of backward compatibility, if some benefits can be gained by making things in a new way, I'm all for breaking stuff. But if there is some benefit at all in EVC, I've not yet seen it, and I'd love to be corrected. -- ++ytti _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
