So to not look like a complete nut, this may have been sitting in my outbox on 
my laptop for several days...
Doh!


Matthew G. Loraditch - CCNP-Voice, CCNA, CCDA

1965 Greenspring Drive
Timonium, MD 21093

voice. 410.252.8830
fax.  410.252.9284

Twitter<http://twitter.com/heliontech>  |  
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Helion/252157915296>  | 
Website<http://www.heliontechnologies.com/>  |  Email 
Support<mailto:[email protected]?subject=Technical%20Support%20Request>


From: cisco-voip [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of 
Matthew Loraditch
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 6:04 AM
To: Ryan Huff; Jeremy Bresley; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Device pack installation methodology question

I believe it works like this:
The firmware updates immediately upon device package install, but isn't 
available until TFTP is restarted. The device defaults are updated as well. 
Just go into device defaults before you restart (since you do have to do a full 
restart for new device models to work) and change the settings back to your 
older versions.

Now the thing I am wondering is if any of the newer http enhancements to 
downloads change things with respect to firmware availability, but even then 
you'd still only have a few minute window between the install completing and 
you changing the fields back to what they were. I guess it really matters what 
your root concern with the other firmware is as to whether there is an 
acceptable risk where a few phones might upgrade and have to revert.


Matthew G. Loraditch - CCNP-Voice, CCNA, CCDA

1965 Greenspring Drive
Timonium, MD 21093

voice. 410.252.8830
fax.  410.252.9284

Twitter<http://twitter.com/heliontech>  |  
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Helion/252157915296>  | 
Website<http://www.heliontechnologies.com/>  |  Email 
Support<mailto:[email protected]?subject=Technical%20Support%20Request>


From: cisco-voip [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ryan 
Huff
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 3:31 PM
To: Jeremy Bresley; 
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Device pack installation methodology question

Correct, ordinarily that would be what I would do as well. In this case though, 
I am trying to avoid upgrading the firmware on anything, other than the devices 
I am trying to get support for.

Thanks,

Ryan
________________________________
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:20:43 -0600
From: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Device pack installation methodology question
On 1/3/2015 2:11 PM, Ryan Huff wrote:
I need to install a device pack on a 2 node 9.1(2) CCM cluster to get support 
for some 88xx phones but I do not want to update the loads for anything else.

The approach I am going to use is:

Drop the publisher out of the CM Group, forcing all phones to the subscriber. 
Install the device pack on the publisher and reboot the publisher. Once the 
publisher is backup, set all the device defaults back to what I want them to be 
then add the publisher back to the CM Group. Then drop the subscriber from the 
CM Group forcing all the phones on the publisher and start the install process 
over for the subscriber. Once everything is back up add the subscriber back to 
the CM Group.

Does that sound reasonable or is there an easier way?

Any time I've needed device support I just install it on all the nodes then 
reboot them one at a time during a maintenance window.  As long as both nodes 
are running call processing, they'll fail over when the node reboots.  Not sure 
about on 9.X, but on 10.X this just shows as a blip on the phones of them 
reregistering, not a full reboot.  Obviously if you install new software for 
those phones, they'll upgrade software when they reboot.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

_______________________________________________ cisco-voip mailing list 
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> 
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
[email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

Reply via email to