We keep bringing up the same social problem: We have brilliant people
contributing quality code, with a lack of documentation, polish, and to
some degree community management/engagement.

The solution is simple: help out by writing or improving documentation,
building demo apps, writing tutorials, and sharing success stories.
All of the creators and maintainers of these projects LOVE being engaged by
those interested in the project.  They will take the time to help you adopt
their stuff and patch up libraries to solve your specific problems
(time-allowing).

I think a general fund/fundraiser is a bad idea, but I'm all for a Clojure
Ecosystem bounty page/site.  If companies or individuals want to put
monetary support behind a feature/bug-fix/tutorial, I think we should let
them.  This approach has worked well for Mozilla, Apache, and others.  We
would just have to be mindful that the bounties are for the ecosystem and
not for Clojure-proper development.

Don't be scared to reach out and approach the authors of the libraries
you're using.  I've had much success directly contracting
creators/maintainers of open source projects.

Regards,
Paul