On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:40:12 PM UTC-4, Simone Mosciatti wrote:

Then still there if I write one article, you write another and @whoever
> write the next we will have 3 different articles in 3 different blogs,
> honestly I am sure that 3 articles doesn't worth 3 page of real
> documentation (and because in your article you cannot assume that your
> readers know what you are talking about, but you can do so in the second
> page of a wiki, and because probably the maintaners of the lib would write
> it better)

Another factor to consider is that folks often prefer blogging (which gives
them recognition) rather than adding to a project's wiki (which tends to
give the project author credit).

Phil wrote:
> It can be helpful in some cases to blog about how you got something
> working, but it's much more helpful to contribute to the official
> documentation, even if it's more work. In many cases the project changes
> in the future and third-party blog documentation ends up doing more harm
> than good.

Here's a possible solution: write your article as a wiki page in the
project's wiki, while simultaneously posting it as a blog post. Have the
blog post contain a link at the top pointing to the wiki article. This way:

  * the author gets public recognition for their work,
  * the blog post doesn't need to be updated (and can be kept in its
current state for posterity),
  * the wiki article can be kept up-to-date, and
  * months later, readers who stumble upon the blog post can easily find
the most current version of the article at the wiki.

> Finally you cannot assume that the creators of a library will be always
> there to help us, they may change career, they may don't have time anymore
> for some stuff, they may move in Buthan, however you can be about sure that
> a wiki page will still.

As an aside, note that when you clone a github repo, you don't get the wiki
too. :) To clone the wiki, visit the wiki and click the "Git Access" tab
(though, it currently doesn't look much like a tab) for info.

---John