Paul deGrandis <paul.degran...@gmail.com> writes:

> We keep bringing up the same social problem: We have brilliant people
> contributing quality code, with a lack of documentation, polish, and
> to some degree community management/engagement.
>
> The solution is simple: help out by writing or improving
> documentation, building demo apps, writing tutorials, and sharing
> success stories.

Completely agree here; this would help a lot more than money.

One other thing to note is that sometimes even simply pointing out where
you ran into trouble trying to get started with a project can be helpful
as a usability bug report. Often library authors have a hard time with
documentation simply because it's difficult to put yourself in the shoes
of a new user when you know the software inside and out.

It can be helpful in some cases to blog about how you got something
working, but it's much more helpful to contribute to the official
documentation, even if it's more work. In many cases the project changes
in the future and third-party blog documentation ends up doing more harm
than good.

-Phil