Good point. I remember a SproutCore (JS framework) documentation project[1]
in which one of the developers would teach a course to some selected
people, and in exchange they would write a manual for the framework. In the
end they didn't reach the sponsorship quota and the thing was cancelled.

[1] http://erichocean.com/book/index.html