"The future has arrived, but it's not evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

I think the "remote vs in the office" issue is ultimately about our ability to
achieve "eventual consistency" with the rest of the team on multiple levels
spanning the inter-personal, cultural, process oriented and technical domains.

But the truth in today's work environment is that being in the office is less
productive than working from your own office where you can shut out all
distractions. It reduces productivity and increases distraction and therefore
software defects by a critical amount and it does not solve the problem of
getting everyone on the same page; it only alleviates it. Raw productivity is
not the goal, so many companies prefer to bring people under one roof than let
them loose on independent projects or going in separate directions on the same
thing.

I think we could use better tooling for the remote lifestyle to make sense in
the common scenario. But the tools for collaboration that we have are so so.
Myself, i feel like a good balance can be attained between productivity and
mission coherence. Maybe I'm wrong?

Sent from my iPhone