Looking at the cmMessageCommand::InitialPass and cmake::PrintMessagePreamble code, if we want to mirror the deprecation message behaviour, I'm tempted to suggest we also modify the message mode "AUTHOR_WARNING" to be "AUTHOR" instead. It would make the mode clearer on it's new behaviour and allow the code to be more consistent with regards to dev and deprecated.

I imagine this might be a big user affecting change though, so it might be better to not do that and just make AUTHOR_WARNING cause fatal error messages depending on the state of the associated cmake variables. What are your thoughts on this?

P.S. Sorry my previous email broke the message threading, I'm replying in a different way this time but please let me know if I'm still breaking the message threading.

Cheers,
Michael