yea, this is exactly what I am up against.  we sold Lolita and the admiral
would like a jeanneau.  I can't bring myself to accommodate her.  The more I
learned about the Jeanneau the more I realized I don't think I would not be
happy with the construction/build quality.  We looked at a privately owed trade
in.  A 2006 Jeanneau 40 and many cabinet knobs were missing, some hatch shades
were pulled right out of the headliner where they were wood screwed in.  There
was a locker in between 2 port side seats down below where the hing was ripped
right out.  Most of the joinery was just screwed together with wood screws.  It
appeared like it was done more by a homeowner as a weekend project than by a
highly skilled craftsman...

I just couldn't imagine that type of failure, so obvious, on a privately owned,
8 year old boat and feel comfortable with the rest of the construction.  I do
think older jeanneaus were better built before Bene got hold of them. (bene was
better built vessel years ago as well)  Then you look at the hardware, I had
more substantial winches on our 33 Viking.

My wife absolutely LOVES the layout of these things.  They are voluminous,
bright, they sit very high and have lots of port lights.  These are all very
nice for hanging at the dock but I I can't help but think how these attributes
would effect safety and comfort if we got caught in a blow with some decent
sized waves.  How do you brace yourself?  I can just imagine the shuttering all
those face screwed panels would do pounding into a good sea.

All this is based on gut reaction to what I have seen.  which is really just
boat show boarding and a couple of showings as well as some reading up on
construction techniques.

So we end up in a dilemma,  Make the admiral happy and me uncomfortable about
the boat or, make me happy and the admirals feels she is in a tight, dark
wooden box.  There really does not seem to be any middle ground in our price
range...

How do you guys feel about the tartan built C&C 121 or 115.  I've read they
really like 15knot winds and above.  I do think this is the one exception if
the C&C quality is there.  They do have a nice bright interior and I think that
would make the admiral happy.  I really don't have a great deal of knowledge of
them.  They never really showed up at boat shows and there aren't too many
available on the market.  They may also be a bit out of our price range.

Danny