I have been watching this discussion with interest.  Although every boat /
condition is different, in my case, I need to find a way that my diminutive
wife can use to recover me, should I end up in the water. She can't reach the
main headboard so that discounts use of the main halyard. My spare jib halyard
already has a snap shackle - easy to attach to my harness or lifesling - or to
the outboard end of a triangular piece of sail (old jib) cut and fitted with
cringles for easy attachment to the toe rail.

I see two potential issues that I need to resolve / check out - a) making sure
the bitter end of the halyard will reach the primary self tailers and will
have a good lead so as to avoid overrides and b) deciding whether the triangle
of sail should pass over the top lifeline (I'd be dumped unceremoniously on the
deck) or not - I'd be squeezed between the toe rail and the lower lifeline.

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III