>From all the comments over the past few years I know that David's comment is
true. But I have always wondered "WHY?". What changed to make the rudder
position sensor essential?

Over the years I've had an Autohelm tillerpilot (800 I think) on a 27 and a
Raymarine 1000 tillerpilot on my 25 with tiller steering. A Raymarine 3000
belt driven wheel pilot. And there is a Navico 5000 wheel pilot on my 38
(I'm sure it isn't older than dirt, but it is almost older than plastic).
None of these has a wheel sensor - relying only on heading information from
the fluxgate compass built into them to steer the boat. All of them worked
well.

The Navico took a bit of adjustment to the settings to optimize performance
(I suspect the PO had never set it up since the wheel lock to lock setting
was the default and not the proper number for the boat), but once set up the
wheelpilot will steer the boat for miles and miles without a variance from
the desired heading of over a degree or two.

So what has changed with the newer autopilots to make the rudder position
sensor so important?

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1