Over the past several years, I have begun to use my 100% in the early Spring and in the Fall beginning in September as the wind many days is in the +15 knot range. By far the better sail all around....the boat stands up, speed is good, easy to handle.....all around a much smarter way to sail.

Combine the 100% with the main, and this is the sail I would be using all season as I am not racing and not in any big hurry to get from one place to another. On those days when I use my main (and am doing it more now than ever before) the 100% is quite adequate.

So to answer your question, will you suffer performance in those Summer months, July and August, with 5-10 mph winds, absolutely. I estimate I would loose 0.5 to 1.0 knot with my 100% versus my 135% in those conditions.

You have to choose between speed or easier handling and tacking.....or do what I do if the wind conditions are similar, use a 100% in the Spring and Fall and a 135% in the Summer.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2016-12-02 8:20 AM, bushmark4--- via CnC-List wrote:
Hi all, I have a question about short handed sailing for short distances, like when you only have an hour or two and want to go out. On such occasions, I am typically by myself; I know many of us do that. So, when such an opportunity arises what sail combination would you typically use? We're in a generally light wind area, the Ohio River; and we seem to have weather patterns somewhat similar to the Chesapeake weather. I frequently use headsail only, my boat having a 140%. This is more than adequate for most weather and too much if the wind pipes up; however, the boat (1985 37 CB) tracks very well and I can sail reasonably close to the wind ( not racing, unless, of course, there's another boat in sight...). The 140 can be a real bear in anything above 15....

I am looking at replacing the headsail and the collective wisdom seems to be to reduce the size of the headsail to 125% or even down to 100%, for the purpose of easier handling and tacking. My question is; does reducing the headsail size affect the ability to sail with the headsail only on these short sails? Or will I need to begin using the main all the time? Will I suffer performance in those summer months, like July and August, when we are happy to get 5-10 mph winds?

Many thanks

Richard
S/V Bushmark4; 1985 C&C 37 CB, Ohio River, mile 596

Richard N. Bush
2950 Breckenridge Lane, Suite Nine
Louisville, Kentucky 40220-1462
502-584-7255