I used the void filling technique. Also built new covers as mine were plastic
and cracked.

Gary

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of RANDY via
CnC-List
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 5:48 PM
To: cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: RANDY <randy.staff...@comcast.net>
Subject: Stus-List Deck Coring Around Chainplates

Listers-

We're having a spate of nice weather here in Denver - supposed to be sunny all
week and 61 degrees tomorrow (yes, in late January / early February).

So today I pulled the chainplates on my 1972 C&C 30 MK I as part of a planned
rebedding job (I confirmed leaks down the chainplates last year).
Unfortunately after removing all old sealant I found some wet and rotten wood
core material between the outer and inner deck skins around the chainplate
cutout holes.

Now I want to solicit the list's collective wisdom on how to deal with this the
right way.  The lazy approach would be to just reinstall the chainplates and
inject new sealant all around, including into the void between deck skins where
rotten core came out, butting up against remaining (and possibly still wet)
core.

On the other hand I've read everything Don Casey has to say about cored deck
repair.  I could consider removing core around all sides of the cutout, about a
half-inch back from each edge, using a bent nail chucked into a power drill.
Then I could fill those voids with thickened epoxy to the edges of the cutout,
and then re-bed the chainplates.

The extreme end of the spectrum would be to try to map out the area of wet core
e.g. perhaps from the outboard edge of the chainplate cutout all the way to the
toe rail, then remove and replace the damaged core.  However that seems like a
huge and complicated job, and I don't think the wet area is that large.  I
haven't noticed any softness or squishiness around the chainplates at all, but
I can percussion-test it carefully.

In the meantime I'm letting those areas dry out by leaving the chainplates out
and exposing those areas to the dry Colorado air.  I may go pour some acetone
in those voids too, since Don Casey identifies that as a core-drying technique.

I'm leaning towards the void-filling approach.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Randy Stafford

S/V Grenadine

C&C 30-1 #7